Cut flower ornamental plant, which has an important place in plant production, is a sector that provides great added value to the economy. Turkey has significant advantages in the cultivation of ornamental plants for reasons such as having suitable climatic and geographical conditions, cheap labour force and proximity to markets and countries.
Production and trade of ornamental plants industry in Turkey is still small sector with respect to its possibilities, however it shows rapid development. Productions began with the small family businesses and gradually replaced with larger and modern enterprises. Carnations, roses and gerbera jamesonii are the flowers that stand out in Turkey in terms of production. Total sales volume in domestic and foreign markets is around 150 million dollars.
Cut flowers constitute the half of the ornamental plants trade in the world. Cut flowers are the flowers that are collected by cutting and used in making bouquet, basket and wreath. Cut flowers are divided into 3 groups according to their reproduction status.
Cut flowers Cultivation Areas
Cut flowers are usually grown in greenhouses covered with plastic or glass, but also in open fields when the climate is suitable and in summer. Gladiolus, Statis, Sweet William are the examples.
Soil Requirements of Cut Flowers
- Should be loamy and filter,
- The acidity of the soil should be between pH 6.5 – 7.5 (neutral),
- Organic matter or farm manure should be rich,
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, potash, lime and other micronutrients should be balanced. Substances that are deficient should be completed.
- The Drainage of the soil must be good and the excess water supplied should flow.